Gas Furnace Maintenance
- Confirm that the furnace runs completely through a normal cycle from start-up to shut-down. Look at the thermostat reading to confirm that the system shuts off when reaching the high temperature setpoint. (If otherwise, you have a short cycling problem requiring a service call.)
- Clean dust or move objects away from the grates that supply air into each room and the large return grate, usually in a hallway, to ensure proper air flow.
- Make sure obstacles are cleared away from the furnace and the safety switch on the furnace door.
- Check the vent connections for the exhaust pipe and chimney for rust or gaps.
- Replace furnace filters annually.